Updated Nov. 20, 2020
If you’re seeking best practices while on our area trails, here are suggestions. As of November 20, 2020, the state of La Plata County’s COVID-19 restrictions are now labeled as Level Red. Please care for yourself and your neighbors and safely connect through the outdoors. Connecting to the outdoors is still recognized as essential to our mental and physical health.
When visiting area trails and public lands, please follow these guidelines to ensure a safe environment for all:
- Social distancing: Keep a safe physical distance of at least six feet from people you do not live with.
- Go solo or only with people you live with: This isn’t the time to hold even small social gatherings on public lands, as that could increase community spread of the virus. Please save the group runs, rides or hikes for after the order is lifted.
- Avoid the crowds: Look for nearby nature to enjoy; the closer to home the better.
- Share the wealth: Whether it’s sharing trails and yielding to others in order to maintain a safe distance, or limiting your time on public lands so that more people can have a safe experience, please keep your larger community in mind.
- Leave no trace: Pack out what you pack in, as garbage collection is currently very limited.
- Use common sense: Stay at home if you or others in your household are feeling sick.
With a large number of new, local trail users out, please remember to follow “Share the Trails” ethics and proper trail etiquette by announcing yourself, slowing down, communicating with others about how to proceed, and always keeping your dog on a leash. Remember, just say “hi”.
Trails are the gateway to the outdoors; please continue to follow all local guidelines and public health orders so we can all continue to enjoy the outdoors together!
Have you been enjoying our local trails more than usual while quarantined this year? Please consider donating to Durango Trails during this season of giving so we can continue to build, plan, and maintain the regional trails you love. We also have awesome merchandise to help rep your #DurangoTrailLove!