The San Juan National Forest has implemented Stage 1 Fire Restrictions Beginning Today, May 20!
(this is in addition to LaPlata County Stage 1 restrictions)
The following are PROHIBITED under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions on the San Juan National Forest.
- Igniting, building, maintaining, or using a fire (including fires fueled by charcoal or briquettes) outside
of a permanent metal or concrete fire pit or grate that the Forest
Service has installed and maintained at its developed recreation sites
(campgrounds and picnic areas). $500 fine.
- Smoking, except in an enclosed
vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an
area at least 3′ in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable
materials. $300 fine.
- Operating a chainsaw without an effective and properly installed USDA- or Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)- approved spark arrestor, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (with a minimum 8 oz. capacity and rating of 2A) kept with the operator and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use. $300 fine.
- Blasting, welding, or operating acetylene or another torch with open flame
without being in a cleared area of at least 10 feet in diameter and
keeping a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (with a minimum 8 oz.
capacity and rating of 2A) with the operator. $300 fine.
- Using an explosive. This includes,
but is not limited to, fuses, blasting caps, fireworks, rockets,
exploding targets, tracers, and incendiary ammunition. $300. $500 for