As of May 12, 2020, La Plata County and the San Juan National Forest have enacted Stage I Fire Restrictions.
Under the restrictions, the following acts are prohibited:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, coal or wood burning stove, any type of charcoal fueled broiler, or open fire of any type in undeveloped areas. The use of charcoal or gas barbecue grills at private residences or fires within a designated campground are not prohibited, as long as not left unattended and fully extinguished after use.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, in a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area that is at least 3 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable vegetation.
- Using explosive material (i.e., fireworks, blasting caps, or any incendiary device which may result in the ignition of flammable material), except that local community fireworks displays approved by and under the control of the Fire Chief within whose jurisdiction the display will take place are not prohibited.
- Welding and/or operating an acetylene or similar torch with an open flame, except that, as long as a fire watch individual is on site and readily available with proper hand tools and either one 2 ½ gallon pressurized fire extinguisher, one 5 pound ABC extinguisher, or pressurized water supply, welding and/or operating an acetylene or similar torch with an open flame in a 20-foot radius safe zone free of vegetation is not prohibited
- Operating or using any internal combustion engine, except that operating or using any internal combustion engine equipped with an approved, properly installed, and properly maintained spark-arresting device meeting either Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1 or Society of Automotive Engineers recommended practice J335(b) and J350 (a) is not prohibited.
The purpose of these orders are to decrease the risk of fire and to maximize scarce resources otherwise needed to respond to the COVID-19 health crisis.
Please follow all local fire restrictions and help keep our lands safe!